Shabby Chic Coffee Filter Wreath

Shabby Chic Coffee Filter WreathEveryone seems to be on the “shabby chic” kick these days when it comes to home decorating. We had a blank spot in our living room that needed filling, so I headed to the store to find something shabby chic and fabulous.

Holy. Crap. Pre-made wreaths at Michaels, even small ones, cost $20+. The larger, nicer ones were $50+. Dudes, I am way too cheap for that.

What they did have, however, was blank wreaths on sale for $3 each. So as I often found myself doing, I headed to Pinterest to see what kind of projects I could do with a grapevine wreath and items I already have around the house.

What I found was that I had already pinned this coffee filter wreath from Lovely Crafty Home (thanks to Kimberly Gonzales for pinning it originally, making it show up in my stream). I did a variation on this. Instead of covering the entire wreath, I covered just part of it.

Let’s look at how I put it together:

If you want to dye your coffee filters, now is the time. I decided to us natural brown coffee filters without dying. When you color them, the filters get naturally wrinkly, which makes fore a nicer texture. To achieve this same look, I simply crumpled each filter into a little ball.

There are a lot of ways to make coffee filter or tissue paper flowers, but here’s how I do it.

After you crumple the filters (or dye them), take four or five of them, depending how fluffy you way your flower to be, and set them on top of one another, lining up the edges. Staple twice, in the center of the filters. Pull the first filter up, gathering it to make the center of the flower like so:

Then, start pulling up the other filters, one by one, around the center until you have a complete flower.

Remember, flowers in nature are not perfect, so yours don’t have to be either. I finish each flower by twisting the base and adding a dot of glue to keep it together.

For my wreath, I made one big flower, then I made several smaller flowers out of coffee filters that I cut into smaller circles, cupcake papers, and candy papers. For smaller flowers, you might want to only use three for each flower. Otherwise, the flower can turn into a little poofball and be hard to manage.

After you make a bunch of flowers, your next step is arranging them on the wreath. I used the big one as an “anchor” and surrounded it with smaller flowers in a natural-looking arrangement. Vary the colors and sizes, trailing off with smaller flowers on the end. I used Aleene’s white glue, but hot glue would work too.

Arranging the Coffee Filter Flowers

On a side note, does anyone else miss Aeene’s TV show from the 90’s? Our family used to love watching that show!

The last step is to add a bow. You could buy a bow or make one from ribbon. I chose to use strips of coffee filter (leftover from cutting smaller circles) for the bow.

Coffee Filter Strips for Bow

I crumpled them just like I did with the filters for the flower and carefully tied a bow. You could definitely do something fancier here, but I like the country, shabby chic look.

Here’s the finished product, as well as a shot of it hanging in our living room. Now that I see it hanging on the wall, I wish I would have went for the slightly larger wreath, but I think it still looks pretty nice!

The flowers aren’t just great for wreaths. I remember when my cousin turned 8, she had a sleepover where her mom taught us how to make them using tissue paper that we cut into circles. Between the ten or so girls who were there, we must have made hundreds of flowers that night! You could also use them on packages you’re giving as gifts, string them together for your Christmas tree, or make a bouquet out of them for a centerpiece that never dies. The possibilities are endless.

The following two tabs change content below.
Allison is one of the co-founders here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She also works as a content marketing consultant and freelance writer - find out more at

One thought on “Shabby Chic Coffee Filter Wreath

  1. That’s clever. I bought a nice door wreath for my front door a few years ago. It was about $150.00. I feel foolish! Next time, I’m making my own.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *