When I was a young girl I enjoyed collecting recipes and I still do. I subscribed to the Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library. Each month a new package of about 24 recipe cards would come. That was in the early ’70s.
The stuffed Green Pepper recipe comes from that box of recipes. Stuffed Green Peppers are one of those comfort foods perfect comfort foods, and they’re also great for using up ground beef when you have some leftover from another recipe.
An oldie but a goodie! This is still the best stuffed pepper recipes I’ve found.
Here are the ingredients: green peppers (or red if you prefer), ground beef, bread crumbs, chopped onions, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and shredded cheese. I forget to grab the cheese for the picture below. These things happen…
Preheat oven to 350. Cut the top off of the peppers and remove all the seeds and the membranes from inside the peppers. Heat about 3 cups of water in a 2 quart pot to boiling. Add the peppers and cook about 5 minutes. Remove peppers from the pot and drain.
Mix the ground beef, chopped onions, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and 1/2 of the tomato sauce.
Lightly stuff each pepper with the meat mixture. Stand peppers upright in a medium roasting pan.Pour the rest of the sauce over the stuffed peppers.
I also rinse out the can and dump it in the bottom of the pan.
Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove cover and sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and bake an additional 10-15 minutes
When peppers are done slice open and pour a little of the pan juices over the top- of the stuffed pepper.
Here is a printable recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 4 green bell peppers
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the top off of the pepper and remove all the seeds and the membranes.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a 2 quart pot to boiling. Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the pot and drain.
- Mix together the ground beef, chopped onions, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and ½ the can of tomato sauce.
- Lightly stuff the peppers with the meat mixture.
- Stand peppers upright in a medium roasting pan.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the peppers. Rinse out the sauce can and pour in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour shredded cheese can be sprinkled over top of the peppers and put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes longer.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018
- Triple Chocolate Truffles #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2018
- Easy S’mores Cookies + 12 S’mores Inspired Recipes #Choctoberfest - October 15, 2018