Being from Central Pennsylvania, we’re lifelong Penn State fans in the Boyer household. So, I’m not really a fan of anything called a “buckeye” (for those of you not into college sports, Ohio State’s mascot is the buckeye, and they’re a team in the same conference as Penn State).
Fat kid confessional: My dislike for Ohio State is trumped by my love for chocolate and peanut butter. Don’t tell my die-hard Penn Stater friends!
I’ve always wanted to try making buckeyes, but I can across a recipe for a buckeye-type of candy with a twist, which I thought would be a nice twist on the classic nut-inspired confectionery. (Note: I’m not linking to the original recipe because it went to a spam site. Eek! Luckily, the directions were in the pin description so I could test.)
Most of the pictures I took while making these were lost…but don’t worry. The recipe is so super simple that You don’t need tons of photos to make this candy!
Start by mixing together peanut butter, rice krispies, powdered sugar, and butter.
The mixture will be pretty crumbly, but that’s okay. If you add more butter, it will be too wet, which isn’t good for dipping in chocolate. And after you roll into small balls, that’s your next step! Melt some chocolate and dip each ball.
That’s it – see, easy peasy!
If you want, you can leave some of the peanut butter showing like a traditional buckeye. Or you can do what I did and add a few colored sprinkles before the chocolate hardens or decorate with some drizzles of white chocolate if you want to get even fancier.
Here’s the printable:
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2-3 packs melting chocolate
- Mix together peanut butter, cereal, sugar, and butter.
- Roll mixture into balls.
- Melt chocolate and dip each ball.
- Decorate with sprinkles or white chocolate if desired and allow to cool and harden.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Mocha Latte Cupcakes - November 12, 2019
- 300+ Chocolate Recipes from #Choctoberfest 2019: From Family Favorites to Unique Eats - October 28, 2019
- Chocolate Orange Overnight Oats (Vegan-Friendly!) #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2019