Flour tortillas are SO easy to make at home. I can’t believe I didn’t try it out sooner!
We are Airbnb hosts, and one of our guests mentioned that she is not great in the kitchen, but does make her own flour tortillas for wraps, quesadillas, tacos, etc. I thought to myself, “Why have I never tried making tortillas at home?” So I looked up a recipe on Pinterest and was on my way!
They take a whole 30 minutes to make (tops), and you can freeze them between sheets of wax or parchment paper…so you have no excuses! The store-bought version have ingredients you can’t even pronounce. These have flour, baking powder, salt, water and oil – items that are probably in your pantry already. Like I said, no excuses!
Here’s the easy homemade flour tortilla recipe:
How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas
Homemade tortillas are so easy to make! You probably already have all of the ingredients you need in your pantry.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the oil, then slowly add the water as you knead, forming a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes, then cut the dough ball in half, in half again, etc. until you have 16 small even-sized balls of dough.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Starting with the first ball, shape the dough into a disk and sprinkle a pinch of flour on each side. Then roll out the dough evenly as thin as possible on a floured surface.
- Place dough into a hot pan and cook for about 1 minute. Flip and cook for an additional minute.
- Repeat with all dough balls.
- Place tortillas in a towel-line dish and serve immediately or store in your refrigerator for a day or two. Or, place between sheets of parchment or wax paper and store in the freezer until needed.
The following two tabs change content below.
Allison is one of the co-founders here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She also works as a content marketing consultant and freelance writer - find out more at AllisonBoyer.com.