The Cheesy Sausage Pasta is a baked pasta dish that can be made to your tastes. I like to use the colored spiral pastas. This time I used Ronzoni Garden Delights Radiatore. They look like little corkscrews and they hold lots of sauce. My husband works at a meat market that makes their own fresh sausage and I like to use their sausage. Use your favorite sausage whether it be fresh, smoked, or Italian.
This pasta can be assembled ahead of time and baked later. Sometimes I have time to get dishes ready before I go to work and they can be popped in the oven when I get home.
The original version of this recipe comes from Taste of Home.
Here are the ingredients: spiral pasta, fresh sausage out of the casings, onions, garlic, jar of favorite spaghetti sauce, shredded cheese, and oregano.
Cook pasta according to box instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, fry the sausage, onions and garlic over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink. Mix in the spaghetti sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer the entire mixture about 20 minutes.
Next, it’s time to assemble the layers. Start with about 1/2 cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart oven safe casserole dish to create a base. Drain the pasta and spoon half of it over the sauce. Top with 1/2 of the remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Then, just repeat the layers – pasta, sauce, cheese.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 350 for 25-30 minutes. Then, uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
This Cheesy Sausage Pasta recipe can be served with the garlic knots that were tested by Jess a few weeks ago. They’re a perfect match! Here’s the printable recipe:
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1½ pounds bulk sausage
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
- 2 -3 cups shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Cook pasta according to box instructions.
- Fry bulk sausage, onions, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink.
- Mix in spaghetti sauce.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat . Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Spoon ½ cup of meat sauce in the bottom of a 2½ quart oven baking dish.
- Drain pasta and spoon half of the pasta over the sauce. Top with ½ of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with ½ of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon the rest of the pasta , then the remaining meat sauce over the first half.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 13, 2020
- Golden Chocolate Blossom Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2019
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018