I used to make a chicken pie with a Bisquick topping on it and it was always a so-so meal to use up leftover chicken. Then I watched Sandra Lee’s Semi- Homemade one day and saw her make her Chicken and Turkey Pot Pie with Pepper Biscuit Topping. It sounded much better then my recipe and I decided to try it the next time I had leftover chicken.
Of course I put my own spin on the recipe.
You can get part of it ready before you go to work, so it’s perfect for a parent on the go. I cook all of the ingredients for the filling first, then cool and put it in the refrigerator until I get home. Then I can finish the recipe later that night.
Here are the ingredients: potatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, chopped onions, chicken seasoning, cooked and cubed chicken, cream of chicken soup, refrigerated biscuits, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
Peel your potatoes and cube them. I cook my potatoes and the diced onions in the same 2 quart corning dish that I will use to bake the pie in the oven. I cook these in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes or until fork tender.
While the potatoes are cooking I cook the mixed vegetables on the stove in a saucepan until fork tender.
Add the can of cream of chicken soup and cooked chicken and stir. If you don’t have cream of chicken, cream of celery soup will work also. I add in the potato and onion mixture and chicken seasoning. I also add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to thin it out a little. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook everything in the saucepan for about 5 minutes or until nice and bubbly. Pour the mixture over your cooked potatoes and onions. Open up the can of biscuits and arrange over top of the chicken mixture. You might have to cut them to fit. Brush some melted butter over top of the biscuits.
I usually end up with 2 leftover biscuits. But that’s ok! Then you each have a biscuit to eat with the meal.
This next part is important. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and set your baking dish on top because the gravy usually cooks out and you don’t want that mess in the bottom of your oven.
Here is the finished product when baked.
See what I mean! A little messy, but so good.
A great recipe to use up leftover chicken or turkey and most of the ingredients are in your pantry. Use whatever vegetables you like. You know it is a good recipe when your husband tells others about it!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 8 ounces of mixed vegetables
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning (McCormick's Grill Mates)
- 2 cups of cooked and cubed chicken or turkey
- 1 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of refrigerated biscuits (Pillsbury Grands)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cube potatoes. Pour into a 2 quart over-safe dish with lid. Add diced onions and cook in the microwave until fork tender (about 5-6 minutes).
- Cook vegetables in a saucepan on the stove until fork tender.
- Add cooked potatoes and onions to vegetables in saucepan.
- Add cream of chicken soup and cooked chicken to saucepan mixture.
- Add about ¼ to ½ cup water to thin out soup mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on medium until mixture is bubbly.
- Pour over potatoes. Arrange biscuits on top. You may have to cut some to fit your dish.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and put baking dish on the lined sheet. Bake about 15-18 minutes or until biscuits are baked and golden brown.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018
- Triple Chocolate Truffles #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2018
- Easy S’mores Cookies + 12 S’mores Inspired Recipes #Choctoberfest - October 15, 2018