The Calico Bean recipe is another good recipe out of a local organizations cookbook. These local cookbooks are some of best resources for recipes. Everyone likes to submit their best recipes to those cookbooks. I go to them quite often. The Calico Bean recipe is from the Klingerstown Fire Company Auxiliary cookbook.
A note from all of us Boyers: if you can support your local fire company, please do so! Many in rural communities stay afloat based on the donations they receive and fundraising money they make, and they’re often run by volunteers who give their time for free to help save lives. So, get involved! Go to local fire company-sponsored carnivals/fairs, buy what they’re selling, and get out your checkbook for a straight donation if you can. Support your local heroes!
Now back to the recipe: This Calico Bean recipe is a side dish great for picnics and is also a great comfort food. Here’s how you make it:
The ingredients for this recipe are: hamburger, bacon, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, molasses, salt, green lima beans, kidney beans, pork and beans, and pepper(optional).
Brown the hamburger meat until it is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat and set this aside for later. I brown off a big batch of hamburger and put containers in the freezer so you have it whenever you need it. This is a batch I had in the freezer and it had some peppers in it. That’s just fine, but you could leave them out of your recipe if you want.
Next dice up your bacon and fry until crispy. I also throw in my onions to fry with the bacon. Drain off the fat when done and add the bacon and onions to the meat.
Pour the hamburger, bacon, and onions into a 3 quart casserole dish with lid. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Bake covered in the oven at 325 degrees for about 1 hour. I usually remove the lid and let in the oven another 15 minutes to reduce the juices a bit. We like the beans a little thicker in this house.
This is a perfect side dish for picnics, potlucks, and holidays. Good old comfort food!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses (like Kings Syrup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 15 ounce can of green lima beans (drained)
- 1 - 15 ounce can of kidney beans
- 1 - 15 ounce can of pork and beans
- ¼ cup of green or red pepper cut up (optional)
- Brown hamburger and (optional peppers) until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon and onions. Drain the fat and add bacon to meat.
- Pour the hamburger, onions and bacon into a 3 quart casserole dish with lid.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Bake covered in oven at 325 for 1 hour.
- Uncovered and bake an additional 15 minutes so sauce gets a little thicker.