Well what do you do then? Throw them out? No way!
You could make banana bread again or put them in the freezer to save for later. Why not try something different? I found these banana oatmeal cookies in the American Profile (a small paper that comes inside our local newspaper) by Ann Langenfeld of Burns, Oregon.
It’s a fairly easy recipe to make. Plus, most of the ingredients are usually in my pantry on a regular basis! So this recipe gets a “thumbs up” from The PinterTest Kitchen.
You need these ingredients: shortening, sugar, an egg, mashed bananas, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, quick oats, and chocolate chips.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together the shortening and sugar. I like to use the sticks. They’re less messy! Plus, you can use the papers to grease the cookie sheet later. Add the egg and mashed banana and mix well. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
Stir in the oats and chocolate chips by hand.
Instead of chocolate, I went for white chocolate chips. You could use butterscotch or peanut butter chips too. You can even add nuts. Make this recipe your own! Drop by the teaspoonful on to a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.
Remove from pan and cool. These cookies freeze well. When I make cookies, I always leave some out to eat and put some in the freezer. Then we always have cookies on hand. Just pop ’em in the microwave to warm ’em up!
Here’s an easy printable recipe.
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add egg and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by the teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until just golden.
- Remove from pan and cool.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018
- Triple Chocolate Truffles #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2018
- Easy S’mores Cookies + 12 S’mores Inspired Recipes #Choctoberfest - October 15, 2018